Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Average Girl is on the hurt for the Good Guys

I had hoped that over the past couple of months, I would have written more about the good guys in my life which actually I have, I just forgot to post my writings! Sadly though I have recently taken a turn for the worse in the search for the good guys and it is hard for me now to focus on them right now. All my mind wants to think about is how my trust in good guys was pummeled by a guy that I thought really was a good guy…wow, I think I was way off base on that one! I may need to get my good guy radar looked at.

But let’s not dwell on that, at least not tonight. I need happy thoughts so let’s get back to the good guys…

There are many good guys that have come and gone throughout the years and though my previous post may appear that I had a male issue when I was younger, I did not. I simply was not friends with many guys and never really took the time to get to know them and vise versa. Growing up I was a total girly girl and all my friends were the girls from my scout troop and the one other girl that lived next door until she moved away when I was in second grade. The boys in my neighborhood picked on me as much as my brother and one even decapitated my favorite Barbie doll…that was a traumatizing day… Though there have been “meanies” in my life, none have made me a man hater by any means! I’m just the girl that got shy around boys for longer in life than most girls. And let’s face it; around guys I really like, I still turn into a shy girl rather than the social butterfly I normally am!

So who are the good guys? How can we tell when we have met them? They are all the guys in my grown up life that have been a friend, love interest or brief encounter that when I think back about them, I can’t help but smile! They are the guys that remind me to keep hoping that I will some day find a guy like them that will realize that I’m one of the good girls and that we are meant to share our lives. They are the good guys that have the big muscles to help me move; the wonderful arms that wrap around me when I’ve had a bad day or trying to avoid someone else; the strong voices that provide words of wisdom when I need it or stand up for me to the not-so-good guys that try to hurt me. They are my brothers from another mother!

What makes a good guy? I really wish I knew because then I would go out and search for them everywhere and hopefully have better luck in finding them. The good guys I have know all have a few characteristics in common though. They all have a good heart, believe in love, are willing to put themselves out there for others, I can always call any of them and they won’t ask why I need them, they will just say “I’m on my way.” Take My Car Husband for instance; he has been there for me in my darkest hours. He’s given me free access to his home when I felt that I had nowhere else to go. He’s give me car advice every time I’ve called and sadly sometimes that’s the only reason I call him lately… He even gave me his truck one week while my car was in his buddies shop getting fixed and carpooled to work with his wife though they didn’t work on the same schedule most days. He’s a big guy that could scare about anyone if he wanted to, but to those that know him, he’s a huge teddy bear that will do anything for those that he loves.

Then there is Mr Perfect. He’s not perfect, because lets face it, none of are, but he’s pretty darn close. He is smart, adventurous, attractive, not willing to change who he is for anyone, and willing to help just about anyone in need. He is the guy that I have literally called to do the craziest things for me and he’s never said no. He’s helped me move a friend that he personally didn’t care for, but did because I asked. He came to my rescue when the guy I was crushing on was coming over to my house for “movie night” and I needed at least one other guy there since it was just going to be me, the crush and a girl friend and it just seemed like it was going to be awkward. I called Mr Perfect in hysterics and he just said “fine, I’m on my way.” He’s also stayed by my side when the latest guy in my life showed up at an event and I did not want to see him since we had recently had a harsh break up. Mr Perfect just sat by my side and kept me talking and even found ways for me to get away when I needed to. He’d be the prefect boyfriend if only we were into each other that way…I wonder why I don’t like him like that…hmmm…

Oh, and I have to tell you about Puppy! Now this one is amusing. Puppy is 11 years younger than me and like the little brother I never had. We call him Puppy because he has a tendency to fall into puppy love with girls. He also has a thing for cougars but that has nothing to do with why he’s on the good guys list. He’s on the list because he has a huge heart and puts it out there for everyone to see. He is always there for me with a hug, kind word, or threats to beat up any guy that may hurt me. He’s a hopeless romantic that I find myself envying and pitying all in the same breath. In some ways he’s more of a girl than me when it comes for the endless quest for love. I wish he could find a good girl his own age that would let him dote on her the way he wants to dote on all girls. I will make a good prince charming for some girl some day when he grows up. Right now, he needs to focus on college rather than his crush that I fear will only break his heart over and over again.

I could go on and on with all the good guys I’ve known but I fear you will be bored with all my babbling. I just want to make sure we all take a minute to remember that not everyone out there will break our hearts. I personally need to be reminded of this regularly or else I am very likely to become a bitter young woman and none of us wants that!

As a good, yet cynical friend recently told me; all men can be a jerk, but then again so can us girls. Stop, look, listen…there is something good there in all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment