Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Life, Coming and Going

Recently my life and emotions have been on a total roller coaster. In the past week our team at work has buried an amazing man that taught us all how to live with such grace and today we celebrated the birth of such a precious bundle of bliss.

My coworker that passed way after a long battle with cancer is finally at peace and now we celebrate how incredible his life was. On first impressions, he was just and average man, living the average life of trying to find the right mix of work and family time. As I got to know him better I began to see how positive he always was even on the days that he struggled with his disease the most. I don’t recall ever hearing him utter a single negative word about anyone or anything. In his final days, I learned more about his family and his life before he joined our team. This man was anything but average, if he's average then I've got even higher hopes that there really is a lot of good in this world! Over 30 years ago he saved a life by running into a burning house and pulling a woman out. He spent the next 27 years a volunteer fire fighter. He worked long hours running a family business and became a prominent figure in the community. His heart was always into helping others without boasting or selfishness. We can all learn from this extraordinary man and do what we can to put more positivity and compassion into all that we do.

After the sorrow last week, it was a refreshing feeling to smile and coo over the birth of another coworker’s baby. We all felt like we were a part of this babies life already and all rejoiced like we were bonified aunts and uncles. At the hospital tonight, I held that little wonder tight in my arms and my heart warmed up so much. I have been feeling so blue lately that being reminded of the simple joys in life really was what I needed. Looking into those big eyes reminded me of how much love I have to give and how much pleasure I get in taking care of others.

Tonight I finally returned to my blog because a friend blogged about changes he's making in his life and the struggles he’s gone through to make the choices he has. I couldn't help but sigh a little when I read my last post about how I was ready to focus me and follow my career path. Here I am over a year later and I haven't gotten far...I'm still single and still in the same job. Granted, I have made strides in my life and worked on building my resume, but it feels like I still have a long ways to go.

It’s weeks like this that I really start evaluating my own life. Am I really where I want to be? Doing what I want to do? Being the person I can respect? With saying good bye to my coworker, I started realizing that I really need to start moving more on my goals again. It's time for me to find meaning in my life and find some way to be at least a little less...average!

No comments:

Post a Comment