Saturday, December 5, 2009

An Average Girl Gets a Life: sure I like football; who doesn’t?

That is a statement that I would never honestly say, but today, I’m going to fake it! A good friend of mine has invited me to a Big XII Championship watch party at a local restaurant. I said sure mostly because I’ve had a more boring than normal week socially and really need some friend time this weekend.

The sad truth though is that I didn’t even know who was playing so I had to do some googling to figure that much out. Now I fear that I’ll show up and be the only one there that won’t have a clue what’s going on. I’ve never been a sports fan and that’s an understatement to say the least. I never paid much attention to football not even when my university made it to the championship game three out of the four years I was there!

My mom has made many comments over the years that she sometimes wonders if I’m really her daughter because I have no interest in watching football or other sporting events. Now, let me mention though that I’m not totally clueless in the sports world, I do know a little about golf, hockey and baseball (Go Cardinals!) and I can probably wing it with basketball. I can play golf, not well, but I know what to do so I don’t look like a complete numskull on the greens. When it comes to hockey I don’t know much, but I do know enough that on a date to a hockey game, I have been known to be more informed than my date! A few years ago a few girlfriends and I all fell for the couch of a local hockey team and soon become educated spectators of the game. What can I say, there’s nothing like a good fight on the ice! As for baseball, it runs in my blood. My grandfather briefly played for the St Louis Cardinals and though he passed away long before I was even a glimmer in my parent’s eyes, it was a requirement growing up that I know that sport.

Anyhow, back to football, I know almost nothing about this game. I know that when they cross the line at the end of the field with the football in hand, they call that a touchdown. You are probably rolling your eyes now wondering is this girl really that clueless? Yes, yes I am. I know they have things call field goals and first and second downs, but I have no idea what they mean. This really is hard for me to admit so please don’t laugh at me too hard! I have a lot of studying to do this afternoon. I’m hoping I can find some sort of football for dummies that will teach me the basics so I know the right moments to cheer and the right times to scoff at the refs. At least I know for certain which team I have to cheer for!

So lets see what we fined…ahha! I found it! This is perfect. http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/football-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html

Lets hope that I can study this and it will be enough to get me through the game tonight! Wish me luck and GO TEAM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment